Edmund and Michael CODY were the sons of James CODY. According to Michael’s will, their property lines were adjoined, along with George HARDAWAY’S land. George married Sarah CODY, Edmund’s daughter. The JOHNSON and HILLMAN families were also close by.
Edmund’s descendants originally owned my maternal line – Rachel, Ailey I, Ailey II, Catie, Dicey; Michael’s descendants my paternal line – Elbert, Old Rose, Rosetta, Grace. Eventually, as CODYS died and willed my Ancestors down their family line, and the slaves married/intermingled, the division became far more blurry.
My theory is my 5th Grandfather Elbert CODY owned by Michael, first had children Catie and Ailey II with Ailey I, my 5th Grandmother owned by Edmund’s grandson Robert CODY. Sometime after 1855 Elbert began having children with Dicey, also owned by Bob CODY. They remained together post-Emancipation.
The number one question to answer, were Ailey I and Dicey sisters, and was Rachel Mother to both? If yes, this would make Rachel my second 6th Warren County Grandmother, believing Old Rose (owned by Michael CODY) to be the other.
I also need to confirm if Robert Donnelson CODY died in 1852 and if he did, which CODY purchased his estate? Catie was born about 1850 and had memories of being on the plantation with “Master CODY”. This tells me I need to look further than Bob CODY and revisit Pierce’s slave narrative [again] for missed clues.
Could Marion Michael (Madison’s Brother, another Michael Descendant) have been the CODY owner after Robert?
- 2 Negroes James & Susan $600.00 one Woman Rachel $200 — 800.00
- 1 do Woman & 3 Girls, Betty Matilda, Martha & Tempe — 800.00
- 1 Man Vinson $450 boy Alfred $300 Girl Aley $275 — 1025.00
- 1 Girl Chloe $550 do Riley $500 Dolly $250 — $900.00
- ” do Rebecca $225.00 Dicey & Judy $500 — $725.00
- Rent of Plantation To for 1832 George W HARDAWAY 47 00
- 1 Negro Woman Rachel Hired To Gracy HILLMAN 51 8 1/4
- Girl Alear ” ” ” ” 17 12 1/2
- Boy Alfred To William STANFORD 30 00
- Man Vinson To Samuel STORY 57 00
- Girl Chloe To Barnet CODY 41 00
- Do Riley ” ” To Henry WILSON 40 06 1/4
- Do Rebecca ” ” Peter CODY 12 3 1/4
- ” Dolly ” ” Ezekiel HILLMAN 12 62 1/2
- Woman Dicey & child ” Barnet CODY 10 00
- Woman Betty & 3 Children by paying G W HARDAWAY} 14 50
- fish & sugar} Geo W HARDAWAY 67 00
Returned by the Executors
and Recorded 30th May 1832
by T FRANKLIN Clerk
- Confirm date of death for Robert D. CODY
- Revisit WPA Slave Narrative of 4th uncle Pierce CODY for missed clues
- Re-read C.C. CODY’S journal re: Rebecca CODY and land purchases/heirs
- Research CODY and related bible records via Family Search order
- Order Newton County CODY bible records via Family Search
Image Source: Ike and Anne May HILLMAN of Greene County, GA – Rensler’s Photography Studio, Cincinnati, OH